The Sanctuary is a city within the city. It might be a walled-off enclave, a culturally distinct community, a gentrified neighborhood, a historical relic, or something else. A sanctuary has its own shops, homes, and infrastructure, enough to sustain its residents and sharing their aesthetic tastes.
A flourishing Sanctuary is self-sufficient. The citizens are healthy and prosperous. The uniqueness of the Sanctuary is maintained and respected.
- Who lives here? Why do they live here specifically?
- What is it that separates the Sanctuary from the rest of the city?
- What sustains the sanctuary and its peoples' lifestyles?
Flip to see the struggling version of this neighborhood
The Sanctuary is a city within the city. It might be an isolated enclave, a brow-beaten borough, a place to abandon the unwanted, or something else. A sanctuary can barely sustain its residents, whether due to lack of goods or intentional deprivation.
A struggling Sanctuary needs support from outside. The inhabitants might ask for, or demand, or beg for assistance. The uniqueness of the Sanctuary is threatened, or seen as a threat.
- Who lives here? Why do they live in the Sanctuary specifically?
- Is the Sanctuary keeping the outside out, or the inhabitants in?
- Who rules here? Who suffers?
Flip to see the flourishing version of this neighborhood